The Parish‎ > ‎

Parish History

Historical Map of the Parish 1840

Historical Map of the Area

Click on the green map on the right to bring up a very detailed map of the area as it was in 1840, with the modern extremities of the Parish highlighted.

Significant milestones for St Paul Malmesbury Without Parish

c. 1840

StPMW parish was not established. The land was divided between a Malmesbury parish and a Westport parish

1886

Malmesbury Borough was created at the expense of the Malmesbury Parish

1894

The reduced part of Malmesbury parish was renamed St. Paul Malmesbury Without parish. The name originates from the Malmesbury church of St. Paul, of which only the west tower now remains

1896

All of Westport parish outside Malmesbury borough is transferred to St Paul Malmesbury Without parish.

1937

RAF Hullavington opens

1939

EKCO establishes a ‘shadow factory’ at Cowbridge and specialises in the top secret development and production of new radar systems used in WW2

1956

The built up area of StPMW parish adjacent to Malmesbury transferred to Malmesbury

1973

Malmesbury by-pass constructed

1984

Malmesbury boundary extended, at the expense of StPMW parish to follow the by-pass, along Filands Road past its Tetbury Hill junction and south via Park Lane to the junction with the Sherston Road; this  tripled the area of the town

2003

RAF Hullavington renamed Buckley Barracks after a VC hero

2008

Primary Care Centre opened by HRH Prince of Wales

2009

Major housing development at Cowbridge commences

2011 

Malmesbury Town, Brokenborough parish and St Paul Malmesbury Without parish councils combine to work on a Neighbourhood Plan restricting the developer led planning of previous years.

2014
The Neighbourhood plan is formally agreed at a referendum with a 90% yes vote.

Comments